Monday, April 16, 2007










Crossroads

the truth about the human mind
it hides the fear of human kind
blocks it out as if to blind
the people from themselves

it fills the void of daily life
it aims to end the shame and strife
yet cuts through judgment like a knife
and makes us second guess

if only for a second, two
I may have caught a glimpse of you
but as my mind intends to do
I seem to have forgot

if man can fail so easily
to rid the world of misery
then what will be the fate of me
when trouble comes to call

we can't distinguish right or wrong
the words we're preached in speech and song
but we will stay where we belong
as if we know no better

so when the judgment day does come
and they surrender, they succumb
to hear the single beating drum
that pounds within our hearts

maybe then we'll see the day
when we rise and stand to say
that this is ours and we will stay
no matter what the cost

for in my soul I know it true
the good of man lies within you
whatever you intend to do
plan to march with me

into the light of sanctity
for you are what empowers me
to be the man I want to be
and I thank you for that

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I titled it "crossroads" for 3 reasons: 1) For the Robert Johnson - selling soul to the devil aspect because the first half is slightly political, 2) For the general point of crossroads being a place where pivotal decisions are made, and 3) Because it's really a piece that starts with one idea and ends in another, so it's the connection of the two.